SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1,2

My Photo
Name:
Location: WESTMORELAND, Tennessee, United States

Friday, March 03, 2006

Church Cancels Building Campaign To Focus On Building Men

If you have been reading this blog for very long you know I don’t get excited when the conversation turns to brick and mortal. Church buildings, IMHO, have contributed significantly to our lack of evangelistic emphasis, and caused us to loose our focus on what the church should be about. So, to say the least, when I saw an article about a group that had put a building program on hold, and decided that the greatest need was to build people, I got excited. Here is the story if you would like to take a look. I think that one of the reasons people get excited about buildings is that they become some kind of a monument to our accomplishments. I wish they were built just to function as meeting houses, but we don’t seem to be able just to focus on functionality, it has to be some type of architectural dream. I have been a Christian for forty years and raised in the church before that. In all that time I have seen only one or two cases where large sums of money were raised for missions, that were similar in amounts you hear being poured into church buildings. Now I don’t want to get on a soap box, but does it seem strange to you that we so easily give millions for buildings and hundreds, and sometimes maybe thousands to missions? I am not a doom and gloom sort of guy, but I believe that the Lord will have a lot to say about this disproportionate picture one of these days. Brownsville Community Fellowship Church, knew that building a great church starts first with building up people. If we build them with the focus of Jesus, I believe that they will take His mission to heart, and this imbalance will corrected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home