SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1,2

My Photo
Name:
Location: WESTMORELAND, Tennessee, United States

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Don't Homosexuals Need To Become Heterosexuals?

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God." I Cor. 6:9-11 NASB Every time I read these verses I am amazed at the backgrounds of those who were Christians in Corinth. I am sure they were not the only congregation with this mix. Of this list of sins and sinners the one we seem to have the greatest difficulty dealing with today is the sin of homosexuality. Yes it is a sin regardless of how much the world tries to convince us otherwise. I think that maybe the reason this sin is so difficult for us is we have a flawed definition of what repentance is with reference to this sin. The following article is so helpful in understanding what repentance actually is when we speak of homosexuality. "Tim Wilkins was once involved in a homosexual lifestyle. Today he is a Christian and has a ministry (Cross Ministry) to persons struggling with homosexuality. In his most recent newsletter, he writes: "Society in general and churches in particular mistakenly believe freedom from homosexuality is marrying, having 2.3 children and a dog in the back yard. A 2001 secular study on the possibility of change shows the depth of this ingrained 'doctrine'. Dr. Robert Spitzer, a Columbia University professor, interviewed men and women who said they used to be homosexual; I was one of many he questioned. As beneficial as his study was and as much as I appreciate the visibility it gave to change, his study measured heterosexual function of the former homosexual -- again missing the real issue. "But" you ask, "don't homosexuals need to become heterosexuals?" No! Scripture never states nor implies all people must be heterosexual; it does say explicitly, however, that we are to avoid all forms of sexual immorality, which includes homosexuality. With that in mind have we not at times given the impression that homosexuals must "convert" to heterosexuality? Jesus did not say "Go and make heterosexuals"; He said, "Go and make disciples." "But" you ask, "isn't heterosexuality the opposite of homosexuality?" No! The opposite of homosexuality is holiness! The term "former homosexual" is inadequate if not inappropriate. We mistakenly think a person who has found freedom from same-sex attractions is now heterosexual. The former homosexual man or woman may now experience heterosexual feelings, but heterosexuality should never be his or the churches' goal. Heterosexuality is in many cases, but not all, a byproduct of the homosexual's dealing with the primary issues -- a distorted self-image and faulty thinking -- both of which Satan uses to "gain control." The church will do well to remember that singleness is not a sin, immorality is. What all this means is that most of churches' advice to the homosexual misses the mark entirely!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW... interesting that you posted on this today! You're always guaranteed conversation with me when this subject comes up! In fact, I was the guest speaker at a local ladies club today (a non-religious club, but all the women there are Christians). I had asked to speak on this very subject... but they were too uncomfortable with it and didn't know how to categorize it. So, I talked about the benefits of short term mission work and my time in Portugal instead.

BUT, I gave out a note with my contact information on it, so I took the liberty to get this in as well:

For over 15 years now, I’ve been interested in a subject that doesn’t make great dinner-table conversation: homosexuality. Through the years I’ve known lots of people who are gay. Some feel liberated and are happy being gay. Others have asked God to help them overcome their unwanted same-sex attractions. I’ve known a doctor, a student, a banker, an electrical engineer and everything in between… countless people with one thing in common – they felt like church was the last place they could go for help. I am a Christian, and this breaks my heart. Granted, it’s a tough subject. But I strongly believe that Jesus went to great lengths to reach out to those who were the most marginalized in life… the woman at the well with a sordid sexual past, the untouchable lepers who yelled “unclean” wherever they went, the naked crazy man in chains that no one would have anything to do with, another woman who was busted in the very act of adultery… Jesus Christ lovingly interacted with them and cared deeply about their life stories. That kind of love is radical, challenging and life-changing. And Christians are called to walk in His steps!

I understand that this is a controversial subject and not one that most Christians want to deal with (unless, of course, it’s your own daughter or nephew or brother…). But I believe it’s the defining issue for Christianity in our generation. That’s why I am devoted to helping churches respond to this issue in a more Christ-like way. I have seen the pain of parents who suffer in silence when they find out their child is gay. They are unwilling to share this with their own churches because they fear how their community of faith will respond.

***********************

So, you can see this subject touches my heart in a deep way. We've really dropped the ball on this one, and people are experiencing a kind of needless suffering that goes beyond the issue.

If any change needs to take place, it has to start with the church.

What a mission field!

3/21/2006 11:59:00 PM  
Blogger Lee Hodges said...

For some reason we seem to look at sexual sin in a different light from other types of sin. In some ways this may have some merit, Paul felt it was different. I Cor. 6:18.

The reality is that sin is sin in the eyes of God. Jesus saw no "untouchables" during the days of His flesh, and neither should we.

Angie, I love your spunk! You go girl!

3/22/2006 09:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home