SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1,2

My Photo
Name:
Location: WESTMORELAND, Tennessee, United States

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

We Will Miss You Big Boy!

Barb and I lost one of our best friends today. Not the two legged, but the four legged variety. Apollo was a loyal, devoted protector of our family for almost eleven years. Back in the early 90’s Barb and I breed Cane’ Corso Mastiffs. You don’t hear much about the breed because they are not recognized by the AKC or the CCC, but are a rare breed from Italy. Apollo was our personal family dog. He was especially close to Barb. If anyone visited us and Apollo was out of his pen, he would always position himself between our visitors and Barb. He was not aggressive, but very cautious until he was sure the person could be trusted. Apollo’s last days were difficult. His hips were gone and he could hardly get up and down. I knew in my heart of hearts that the best thing for him would be to put him down, but I just could not bring myself to do it. So I am thankful that he passed without a lot of struggle this morning. So we are left with a lot of great memories of his unconditional love and devotion. We will miss you big boy! We will miss you allot.

4 Comments:

Blogger believingthomas said...

Lee,
Sorry about Apollo. I know how hard that can be. And I love Big Dogs. I have had a boxer and and a half boxer/ half American Bulldog.

T.

3/14/2006 01:48:00 PM  
Blogger Lee Hodges said...

Thanks so much T. Apollo was special

Barb and I had a Boxer some years ago. Great dog, but loved to run the neighborhood.

3/14/2006 02:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee, I feel sad for you and Barb! We are huge dog lovers in my family (I could tell you some stories!!!). Eleven years definitely qualified Apollo to be more family than pet, and I'm sure Barb would agree since he was her big buddy. I guess the best consolation is knowing he's not hurting anymore. As hard as it is to let go, it's so much harder to see that sweet thing suffer.

I think dogs can teach us so much... They're so forgiving no matter what. They really do give love regardless. Have you heard the quote, "Lord, let me be half the man my dog thinks I am!"

Thanks for sharing this with your blog friends. My heart goes out to you!

3/15/2006 12:42:00 AM  
Blogger Lee Hodges said...

Thanks Angie. Your thoughts mean so much. Yes, the quote you mentioned is familiar and so very true.

3/15/2006 06:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home