SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1,2

My Photo
Name:
Location: WESTMORELAND, Tennessee, United States

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Posture Optional

I am guessing that it has been a while since you have seen someone kneel in prayer during a church service - unless you are Catholic. I grew up in a small congregations and their were a couple men that I remember kneeling when they prayed. One of them was brother Billingsley. He was in his late 70’s and when called on to pray (very spontaneous, no prior warning) you could hear him making his way to one knee on those hard wood floors between creaky old wood pews. Though the building was small, it was still hard to hear the prayer, but no one complained. Everyone respected brother Billingsley's walk with the Lord. It was not an uncommon site back then to see men go to their knee(s) in prayer. A while back we were given that option during prayer and I moved from my seat to kneel while we were led in prayer. When I took my seat again beside my grand son Lukas he ask me, "Papa, what were you doing?" After I explained that I was praying, I reflected on how much we have lost in not continuing the tradition of kneeling to pray. The Bible is filled with examples of people kneeling or prostrating themselves before the Lord in prayer. And yet today it has become odd and even weird to see. I know that the important posture takes place in the heart. I know that you don’t "have" to kneel to prayer. I led prayer at Madison Sunday and gave permission for it to be "posture optional." Our seating is not conducive to allow allot of people to kneel, but when the opportunity is given, there are always folks from all over the building that will kneel. When you picture people from the scripture praying, what posture do you see? Sometimes it is stated, other times not, but for the most part I see them either kneeling or prostrated before God. These are postures of respect, submission, awe and humility. As I reflect back on my grand son’s question above, I also see them as postures that teach those qualities by example. I tend to think that one day when we see Jesus and the Father face to face, it will not be "posture optional". In the presence of Holiness I will fall down and get just as close to the ground as possible. "In a loud voice they sang: "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!" Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!" The four living creatures said, "Amen," and the elders fell down and worshipped". Rev. 5:12-14 NIV

4 Comments:

Blogger Laymond said...

I hope there are many who pray for me especially when I can't hear them. If it were mandatory to kneel when we pray It would take the rest of the congregation, the rest of the time for sermon to get us old and crippled back on our feet and in our seat. now that would be an uncommon sight.

4/26/2006 10:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my... I feel robbed. I never had the experience of seeing people kneel in prayer. I suppose to those who do kneel often, it's commonplace... but it's something that has been largely lost from my perspective. And it's something I want to adopt...

THANK YOU SO MUCH for calling things like this to my attention... for making things more than just fleeting thoughts.

I want so much to put some meat and depth into my spiritual life... and so many things that we just don't do are GREAT catalysts to getting me there.

This is one of them.

4/26/2006 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Lee Hodges said...

l.e., I can relate to the extra effort needed to get up again.(-: Kneeling is an option, nothing more, but one I choose when it is appropriate.

Angie, our tribe has been so bogged down by some traditions and as you stated, so robbed, by the absence of others. The scripture speaks of "bowing", "lifting holy hands" and more. I don't see these as cultural expressions, but as physical expression of hearts filled with reverance and awe for the Holy One.

4/26/2006 02:07:00 PM  
Blogger believingthomas said...

Lee,
there is a real connection with posture. It seems that Isreal believed they could get there heart in the right place at times by getting their bodies in the right posture. Of course there are times that its a natural outpouring of the heart.

I have found that changing people's posture can help them tremendously in prayer.

4/27/2006 09:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home