SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1,2

My Photo
Name:
Location: WESTMORELAND, Tennessee, United States

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Yearn For The Vast And Endless Sea

"If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea." Fred Peatross. People tend to be idealistic and are driven by a vision. Maybe some where in those two statements is the key to understanding why so few in the Body do little more than show up from time to time at a worship service. Some of it has to do with an incomplete understanding of what God has done for us. Some of it has to do with motivation. But I think that maybe, just maybe, the real key is that those who lead us have not taught us to "yearn for the vast and endless sea". We have not been led to see the dream of God. We have not been taught the inner joy and motivation of a human heart committed totally to the cause of the one willing to die on a Cross rather than disappoint His Father. We have been taught what we "ought" to do. We have sometimes been challenged. We have been preached to and chided for our lack of devotion and love for the Lord. We have been made to feel guilty and unworthy . We have often been exhorted to gather wood, divide the work and go to work, but seldom have we been taught of yearn for the vast and endless sea. The creator of the Universe is at work in our world and He bids us join Him. Wow! That is so amazing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE THAT QUOTE! Never heard it before. But it strikes a memory in me... one of the things I first was shown in some of my AIM classes. We were discussing how often we just tell people to REPENT! REPENT! REPENT! ...Rather than showing them the Jesus who calls them to repentance and who will mold their hearts in that direction.

Another thing I think of is casting a vision for your life. I remember one friend/missionary who ALWAYS would be talking about community and living with a vision... so much to the point that we associated those words with his name! Now he is in continuing to live that vision and signs all his newsletters "Vive la vision!"

A lot of things may have wavered in his life through the years... but the vision God laid on his heart never has. It's a powerful thing...

4/26/2006 11:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I failed to mention my missionary friend is in Mexico (hence the translation of his vision into Spanish!)

I guess that's the point. When you have a vision for the life God has called you to... it will translate over distance, time, trials, etc.

Beautiful!

4/26/2006 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Lee Hodges said...

Before the foundation of the world our Father had a vision. When Jesus came He left a vision. If there is something lacking today it is His vision for us and the world.

Vive la vision! I love that!

4/26/2006 02:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home