SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1,2

My Photo
Name:
Location: WESTMORELAND, Tennessee, United States

Monday, June 19, 2006

Unity

In a Peanuts comic strip, Lucy tells Linus “I finally figured out how to prove to everyone that my religion is right.” Linus asks, “How do you do that?” “It’s simple,” says Lucy, “I hit ‘em over the head with my lunch box!” Regardless of appearances, a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. Lucy reminds me of a fellow I heard about one time. He was stranded all alone on a desert island for years before he was finally rescued. His rescuers asked him what the three structures were that he had built on the island. Three buildings seemed perplexing for just one man. He said one was his house, one was his church, and one was where he used to go to church before he got his feelings hurt! I am convinced that unity is a matter of attitude, not perfect agreement. Are there two human beings that agree 100% on every thing? Surely the most legalist among us would agree that a definition of 100% agreement will never fly. The attitude of which I speak was illustrated so beautifully by two famous preachers of the 18th Century Evangelical Revival, John Wesley and George Whitefield. Sadly having been great friends at Oxford, they fell out over the Armenian/Calvinist debate. There was quite a bit of animosity between their followers. Once one of Whitefield’s followers said to him, "We won’t see John Wesley in the heaven, will we?" To which Whitefield humbly replied, "Yes, you’re right, we won’t see him in heaven. He will be so close to the Throne of God and we will be so far away, that we won’t be able to see him!" What a great attitude Whitefield had. Despite profoundly disagreeing with Wesley, Whitefield recognized John Wesley as being a man of God. Indeed the respect for the other was so great that when Whitefield died in the United States, John Wesley preached at George Whitefield’s memorial service in London. While neither man changed their position, they had the wisdom to respect the study and honest search for truth of the other. That is the “attitude” of unity of which I speak.

5 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

Since I don't even agree with myself at times, how could anyone else agree with me, or I with them 100%.

Unity will never occur because we view every detail exactly alike; unity will only occur if we love those who differ with us, and are willing to accept them with their honest opinions just like they accept us with our honest opinions.

You are right; "what a great attitude" displayed by these wonderful Christians in spite of their differences. A great example for all of us.

6/19/2006 07:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ALWAYS LEARN SO MUCH FROM YOUR POSTS! My knowledge of the history of Christianity is so sorely lacking... It just blows me away to learn how generation after generation has struggled with each other - in their understandings of scripture and even moreso in how to respect each other in the midst of those differing understandings.

6/19/2006 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Laymond said...

We can be unified in a single quest, without one having to drag the other down the road.

6/19/2006 11:04:00 PM  
Blogger Lee Hodges said...

I have long felt that the focus of unity should not be on what someone else believes, but on Him who is the object of our faith.

Picture a triangle. At the top place the name of Jesus and at points A and B on the bottom. When A and B move toward Jesus notice that they also get closer together. When we focus on each other, our differences keep us apart. Focus is the key.

6/20/2006 09:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True unity is building the others weekness. Not to tear them down any further. One person might be strong in an area and weak in the other. When you have unity those weaknesses are now made strong. That's why so many people marry there opposite. That way the partner can strenghten the other partners weaknesses.

6/20/2006 03:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home