SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1,2

My Photo
Name:
Location: WESTMORELAND, Tennessee, United States

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Rufus Takes Westminster

Rufus, the colored Bull Terrier took best in show honors at Westminster last night. Shaka Zulu, (2nd pic left) the Rottweiler, was my choice, but I was not the judge. This is the first time a Bull Terrier has taken top honors. While Barb and I have not shown dogs since the early 90’s, we still are drawn to dog shows and especially Westminster. For a few years we raised Cane Corso’s, a rare breed of mastiff from Italy. Cane’s date back to the Roman Empire. The breed was all but lost, but in recent years efforts to bring back the breed have met with some success. Tara, pictured to the left/bottom below, was our dual champion female, ICCF & ARBA. She was a natural in the ring, and without question was the best dog we ever owned. Sadly we lost her to complication during her last pregnancy. Her natural protective instincts and wonderful temperament made her the ideal family dog.

Cane Corso’s are not shown in AKC shows, but on the Rare Breed Circuit. This will be the case until the breed has more registered numbers through out the US, and the leaders of the ICCF approach the AKC for

recognition. It is my understanding that this is in the works as we speak.

At any rate, congratulations to Rufus, even if you do have a face that only a mother , or breeder could love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home