SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1,2

My Photo
Name:
Location: WESTMORELAND, Tennessee, United States

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Dancing Before The Lord

I was flipping channels on Sunday Morning before Barb and I left for worship. My tribe has only a few television programs and I happened across one. It was the closing moments of the program and the picture was of a congregation singing. They were all dressed in their “Sunday Best”, with books held high, but still not looking at the leader. No smiles, a very solemn look on each face. As I reflected on that scene, it struck me that that picture was someone’s idea of what worship should look like. That is how they thought people should act in worship. My next thought was, how sad, how very very sad. Where did we get these kinds of ideas? They did not come from Scripture. Maybe some of it comes from the time when we thought it was “wrong” for men to weep, or when children were to be “seen and not heard”—who knows, but this mind set did not come from God! When David brought up the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem, we are told that he, “danced before the Lord with all his might” (2 Sam. 6:12-14). “To those who did not understand the redemption brought by this God, David’s actions no doubt seemed odd. Yet for those of us who have even greater reason than David did to rejoice and dance before the Lord, worship ought to be the very character of our lives.” Philip Kenneson, “Life On The Vine”. Take a moment and read the following scripture, I Peter 1:3-9. Did you hear that? "filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy" If you can read that and not be excited you are in a coma! (Sorry, that may be an overstatement) It could simply be that our lack of excitement is really a lack of understanding of what God has done for us in Christ. If understanding that doesn’t light your fire, as my old daddy used to say, your wood's wet”. In case you are wondering, I am not advocating dancing before the Lord. But let me quickly add, for those who always look for a "thus saith the Lord". There you go!

5 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

Thankfully there's no forced solemnity where we meet. Those visiting with traditional viewpoints will be disappointed to see a lively bunch, but with enough common sense to cry when the situation demands it, and happily shout an occasional AMEN to drive home a point when appropriate.

How some churches derive the idea that worshipping God has to be performed with one united drawn face escapes me.

Visitors will seldom return if we all sit around sporting sullen faces; they will see no joy in our walk with Jesus! This will also carry over into the lives of our children who will see worship as being without joy.

5/24/2006 06:45:00 PM  
Blogger Donna G said...

You are right...it is sad, very, very sad!

5/24/2006 07:30:00 PM  
Blogger Lee Hodges said...

Larry, you are so right on! It not only will carry over to our children, in some cases it already has, for generations it has.

5/25/2006 06:08:00 AM  
Blogger believingthomas said...

REVERENCE!

An overdose of REVERENCE. Well reverence by someones definition. As I recall David's wife thought he had disgraced himself unclothed and dancing in the streets. He seemed to say, "I will not put with a prude, see ya!"

I guess it is all really about those rules and loads placed on people that God never intended. It is certainly not about freedom.

Great observation on the image of worship on some TV programs. That would make you want to get off the couch and run there to join in wouldn't it.

5/25/2006 09:21:00 AM  
Blogger Lee Hodges said...

Tommy,

"An overdose of REVERENCE". Great way to describe it! We can be so dignified that we are petrified.

5/25/2006 09:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home