SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1,2

My Photo
Name:
Location: WESTMORELAND, Tennessee, United States

Friday, June 23, 2006

A Smell Of Death In The Air

Leann from the Madison church called me on Thursday. A lady from a small congregation between Lebanon and Murfressboro, TN had called. There preacher left and they need someone to fill in. I said I would help on a limited basis and called the lady. Here is what I learned. They are less than fifty in number. Only two men left and one of them is the song leader. She said they wanted to keep the church there alive, but just not sure how long they can go on. Have you ever stood beside the bed of someone who was about to take their last breath? There is a smell of death in the air. I smelled it again on Thursday while on the phone. This time it was a rural congregation and not a person. I have comforted families many times before and after the death of a loved one, but what do you say to a church that is on its death bed? I don’t want to sound all doom and gloom, but reality is what it is. This situation is becoming more and more frequent. (See yesterdays post for some of the reasons.) I will be preaching for them this Sunday. It won't be a funeral lesson, but that lesson is not far away.

2 Comments:

Blogger believingthomas said...

I guess the real question is why are they holding on. What is it that would be wrong with closing the doors and joining another effort. What is it they fear.

Or on the positive side, this has been their home and family for a long time. It hurts to end it so they hold out hope in spite of the evidence.

Seen it too often.

6/23/2006 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger Lee Hodges said...

Churches develop their own personalities. Letting go is like pulling the plug of life support on a loved one.

6/24/2006 06:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home