SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1,2

My Photo
Name:
Location: WESTMORELAND, Tennessee, United States

Monday, June 26, 2006

"What Can Wash Away My Sins"?

I know that some of what I write here from time to time might cause you to think that I have a problem with “my tribe” as I lovingly call them, but the reality is that I love “my tribe” and am grateful for much of what I was taught that has brought me to where I am today. One of the issues that cause us to stand out from most of the rest of the religious world is our teaching on Baptism. While I readily admit that some of our number sound like they believe in baptismal regeneration, I have never believed that, and our tribe does not believe that either. Those who would accuse us of teaching baptismal regeneration believe that we believe that baptism is a work of merit that in some way earns us salvation. Nothing could be further from the truth. “What can wash away our sin, nothing but the blood of Jesus”. I believe those words with every fiber of my being. While reading Ben Overby’s blog today concerning grace and trust he made a powerful statement. “Some of us want to suppose that because of God's grace, we do nothing. The truth, however, is that because of God's grace we earn nothing. Grace is a gift ready to be taken by those who trust!” While Ben was not speaking of Baptism, the principle applies. Our response to Him in Baptism is an action of trust, not merit. Paul after spending three days in prayer, and obvious repentance, was told by Aninas, “Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.” Acts 22:16. Baptism is a plea of trust that results in the washing away of sins. In baptism we are asking –calling on His name – to be cleansed by the Blood of Jesus. This same principle is seen in another often misunderstood verse from I Peter 3:21, “Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you--not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience--through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.” How does baptism save? (Holy Spirit’s Words, not mine). Baptism is an appeal to God for guilt removal that is made possible by the fact that Jesus was raised from the dead and became our substitute. It is high time for folks to get over this “water salvation issue”. I don’t know anyone who believes that there is salvation in water apart from the Blood of Jesus. The Catholics are often accused of this, but I am not sure they believe it either. What can wash away my sins? Nothing but the blood of Jesus!

6 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

If I understand "baptismal regeneration" correctly, it's basically the concept that baptism is an absolute requirement in order to be saved.

To simply this concept; if your baptized you are saved-or at least heading the right direction, if your not baptized, your a sinner (regardless of your faith,) and have no hope.

In many COC tribes in this area of the country you are not considered a child of God unless you are baptized....period!

"What can wash away my sins? Nothing but the blood of Jesus!

6/26/2006 08:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there Lee! I was just doing a bit of "catch-up" reading since I'm back from my trip to Atlanta. The last few posts have more than accurately described the Church of Christ that I grew up in and most recently came home to. It breaks my heart that I couldn't just get back into the groove they are in (or the rut, I should say). It is so very hard to communicate that I just don't fit in there because no one really leaves a conversation like that feeling great. It has left me with a feeling of church "homelessness." But I'd rather be uncomfortable somewhere else than miserable there.

6/27/2006 01:41:00 PM  
Blogger Lee Hodges said...

Thanks Larry, and what you say is to true. To many Baptism has become their saviour.

Angie, Welcome home again, "oh traveling one"! Missed your smiling comments. My heart goes out to you and I do know how you feel. We drive a hour one way to be apart of Madison, we pass many congregation on the way, but I have no regrets.

6/27/2006 02:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian McLaren seems to be of the opinion that baptism should increase, and even is again increasing, in significance in other (i.e. non-CoC) areas of Christendom (as noted here and here.) Based on some more recent readings, I think he might be right.

6/27/2006 05:03:00 PM  
Blogger Lee Hodges said...

Greg,

Thanks for sharing the links with us. Great food for thought!

6/27/2006 07:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another link Lee... seems this is becoming more common among those not of a CoC background...

Scot McKnight on Baptism

7/07/2006 09:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home