SHADOW OF THE ALMIGHTY

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1,2

My Photo
Name:
Location: WESTMORELAND, Tennessee, United States

Saturday, May 06, 2006

I Grew Up In A Segregated World--Racially and Spiritually

My early childhood was in a segregated world. I remember the marches for equality. I remember George Wallace’s stand against the integration of schools. I remember the riots of the mid 60’s. I remember men like Martin Luther King. I remember when he was shot. I worked at a 5 & 10 cent store in Springfield, Tennessee in my early teen years. While there I developed a friendship with Jimmy. Jimmy was black. Traditionally on Friday nights a group of us got together and went skating, or did something together. I remember the Friday we invited Jimmy to go with us. There were five of us in the car when we stopped at a hamburger place in Goodlettsville. As we all piled out of the car, Jimmy handed me a couple dollars and told me what he wanted. He was staying in the car. I will never forget the anger that ran over me at that moment. The very idea that Jimmy could not be served and eat with us just was not right! With that as a back drop, let me say that my tribe has always prided themselves in being a people of the Book. The Book being the Bible. They could, and many still will today, set you straight in a heart beat if they don’t agree with you. My uncle preached for a church in Alabama back then. I remember him saying that during all the turmoil of the 60’s there was always an Elder stationed at the entrance to the church building in case blacks were to show up so they could direct them to the black church in town. They were not welcomed and would not be allowed to worship with the white congregation. These are the same people who prided themselves as being a people of the Book. I am so glad that attitude is about gone. So why bring it up again? I think it is a picture of how our focus can cloud or cause us to miss altogether the purposes that God has for us. Leonard Allen in "The Cruciform Church: Becoming a Cross-Shaped People In A Secular World" said, "The church of Jesus Christ will be identified most clearly by the character of its people. The church is not primarily an association of people who know and defend the basic teachings of the Christian faith, people who pride themselves on knowing precisely what one must believe. Rather, the church is God’s new creation, a people who have Christ formed in them, who walk by the Spirit and crucify the flesh." Page 174. The Bible is so much more than a book of rules. If that is all we see, then the result will be a people who are changed in various degrees on the outside, but who’s hearts can still hate and be prejudice. Can you imagine a shepherd of God’s flock being posted to turn away people of color from worship? If the Bible is only a book of rules and facts, yes I can. Leonard Allen continues, "This separation between doctrine and life has created a narrow and stunted measure of orthodoxy. A church can be "sound" while excluding black people from its midst. A church can be doctrinally correct while virtually ignoring the poor and hungry living down the street. Christians may pride themselves on their soundness in the faith while hoarding their money or vilifying their brother or brutalizing their family or splitting churches. People may argue endlessly about the proper way to care for orphans while largely failing to care for orphans. " Ibid., p.174. Is this not the message of I Corinthians 13? Read it again! V:13-14:1a "Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love. Let love be your highest goal! NLT

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been hard to return to my home state of Mississippi and see the reality of a segregated mindset. It still exists... racially and spiritually. The insidious thing is that those who have it would deny it in an instant. It's hard to open people's eyes when they're so used to all they've ever seen.

I notice it in the smallest of comments and more in what is excluded and omitted than what is blatantly seen.

WOW... those Leonard Allen quotes were powerful! Thanks for sharing them!

5/08/2006 01:26:00 PM  
Blogger Lee Hodges said...

Thanks Angie and Ben for your comments. So many that take part in religion and worship are never changed in heart. Only when we join the Father in relationship do we begin to become like Him. Many knee deep in religious activity have no relationship - and this is only one area where it really shows.

5/08/2006 08:17:00 PM  
Blogger believingthomas said...

Lee,
I went back and read this post again. Philip Yancey has a similar story of a deacon being posted at the door with a written statement.

So I take it you recommend the book?

5/23/2006 12:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home